
Every once in awhile there are people that I meet along the way that really just shock me like no other. This little girl on the right is one of them.
I met her while I was visiting a city in the northern part of Colombia called Rioacha to get things ready for a team that is coming in November. I went with a few other missionaries to a local school where one of our friends works now as an English teacher. While sitting down, this little girl came up to me and started speaking to me in such a sweet little voice and to my great surprise she spoke almost perfect English! I think my jaw hit the floor. She then asked me if I worked in a mine...haha. The northern part of Colombia has some rather large salt and coal mines and she wondered if that's why I was there. Its not uncommon to meet an English speaking college student or adult, but it's very rare to find an English speaking child. Talking to her brought a huge smile to my face.
We proceeded to have a great conversation about many different things, but then I asked her a question that she might not have expected. I asked her if she was a Christian... She got a big smile on her face and shyly replied no, she was Catholic. She then asked me what I was. I proudly told her that I was a follower of Jesus and I would be coming back in a few weeks to talk with them again. Now I realize that to be Catholic doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't put their trust fully in Jesus, but it's a strong likelihood that that this sweet little girl and her friends have never really understood the message of the cross.
In about 3 weeks, we will have an opportunity with a few of my American friends from Forest Hill Church to share with these beautiful little girls how they can be daughters of the King. We will also be training a group of teachers in this school how they can daily impart the message of the cross to their students. What a great opportunity! Would you please be praying for this team as we work on helping a small local church start the foundation of a new church building and for the opportunities that we will have to share with kids like these about how they can know Jesus personally. Please pray for us as we build and share the love of Christ with others.
Speaking of teams, another group from Forest Hill came and spent a wonderful week making an impact here in Santa Marta with both the Colombians and the missionaries. While they were here, this team had a huge impact on two schools sharing with both young women and men about how much they are loved by their Savior. They did an amazing job communicating the love of Christ with everyone that they came in contact with. We are praising God for the time that we spent with this great group of fellow believers.
They also had the opportunity to work with some really special kids with cancer, share the gospel in the park, encourage the missionaries, spend time with a special lady from our church that is suffering with cancer, and just being a light to all that met. Please pray for the seeds that were planted in the many hearts that had the opportunity to hear.
One last thing that I would love for you all to hold up in prayer. I've had this idea germinating for the last couple of months inside my tiny little head. God has really shown me that as an Americans, we have access to schools and teachers just because of where we are from and the language we speak.
This really has the potential to be a cool ministry opportunity for the future. I'm praying that God will illuminate and guide us in this potential ministry of entering local public schools to work with both teachers and students in sharing and training them in what the gospel is and how to share it. And not only that, but I would love to be able to leave with them the tools to help disciple the students have put the full weight of their trust in Christ. Please pray that God would clearly lead in where and how this might become a reality.
Praises:
1. God has blessed our family with a family friend, Kendra, who has blessed our family more than she will even know as she has helped to take care of us and our kids during the first couple of months of life of Josiah.
2. God has blessed our family with another beautiful little guy who is doing great and growing like a weed. Amanda is even getting a full nights sleep... God is so good to us.
3. We were also blessed by a visit by Grandma and Kendra (Amanda's mom and sister). Another huge blessing for the whole family.
4. We can see God's hands working in our lives and in the lives of others. Thankful for a faithful God
5. Since our last newsletter, we have raised an additional $400/month. Praise God!!!!! He is so Good!
Prayer Requests:
1. One thing I never thought I would have to do is give a Biblical defense of marriage in our church. But that's where we are right now. Please pray for me and Pastor Julio as we share with the other Elders in our church what we believe to be a Biblical perspective of marriage.
2. Pray that God guides us as we have many opportunities to work as Peacemakers in the church. Pray that we can find the mind and love Christ as God has called us to do.
3. Pray that we would be salt and light to all that we come in contact with.
4. Our teammate who works with University students is preparing to leave and study in seminary. I will be a part of a team of people who will lead and direct this ministry.
5. We still are praying for ministry partners that would partner with us in prayer and financially. We are praying for 7 more families.
If you would like to partner with us in ministry, you can emailus or click here and then on "Donate" and chose our name from the drop down menu to contribute to what God is doing here in Colombia.
Thanks to All of you that are standing with our family through prayer and your sacrificial giving. We love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment