Friday, March 26, 2010

Two Main Ministries

Our family has been in Colombia now for about 3 months. We have had some adjustments, but we are enjoying our new life here. Kendall is doing well in school, though we have to keep her from visiting all her friends in other classes during the day.

Jon and I spend our mornings working on language study and doing things around the house. You really have to stay on top of the cleaning here or you will be covered in dust and have ants crawling all over you. Our tutor comes to our house 5 days a week while Kendall is at school. Parker usually plays or watches a movie while we study.

After being here for a couple of months now, we have finally started to plug into some of our own ministries. In addition to regular church meetings during the week, on Wednesday mornings I go and help a group of people from the church with "Evangelism Explosion".  EE is a program for young kids to teach them the gospel and then in turn teach them ways to share the gospel with their friends and neighbors. I have greatly enjoyed the time with my group. The first week we had a mini-carnival with games to present various verses from the Bible to support the gospel. Each week we continue to reinforce this verses with activities, songs, dramas, and movements.  This week we taught the gospel in miniature with hand motions.  I don't always know what my group is saying, but I have been able to communicate these truths of the gospel with them. I am looking forward to the next 10 weeks with these girls.

Our second big activity is the youth meeting on Saturday nights. Jon and I are working with the assistant pastor and his wife to plan these meetings. Right now we are relying on them to do the majority of the teaching, but we hope to share the teaching times with them in the future when our Spanish is better. We are able to plan interactive activities for the kids and get-to-know-you games.  We are really praying that we begin to make strong relationships with the kids and with their parents.  We are also inviting one family a week over to our house to get the know the people of the church better.

Prayer Requests:
1. Pray for continued progress with language. The more you know, the more frustrating things become at times.
2. Evangelism Explosion-pray that the kids in the class would fully understand what Jesus did for them on the cross and that they can have security in His payment for them on the cross.  Pray for continued excitement with the kids as they learn more about God and what He has done for them. Pray that I would be able to answer their questions and communicate clearly with them.
3. Youth Group-pray that the kids would begin to be unified and more and more interested in spiritual things. Pray that we would have a good working relationship with our assistant pastor as we help the church develop the youth program here. Pray also that Jon and I would have wisdom about how to plan for meaningful activities and family interaction.

Thank you so much for your continued interest in our ministry. God bless.

Amanda, Jon, Kendall, and Parker

No comments: