This past week was an exciting, yet very busy week. Jon and I both had several tests and several other activities that we needed to do. On Wednesday I started my ESL class. It was a wonderful time of getting to know the students and trying to access how much English they knew. I was impressed by how well several of them spoke. We spent the beginning of the class introducing ourselves. I am very thankful that my group was talkative. Apparently, in the past that has not always been the case.
During the break, we were able to visit more, share some refreshments, and listen to a short Bible lesson. The directors of the program teach an English song and then give a short devotional. Teaching English is only the means by which we use to get people to the classes. Our real heart is to be able to share the love of Christ with them. I was deeply encouraged by my time with the students. They were so appreciative and thankful for my time and the help I was willing to give. During the second half of the class, I handed out pictures from a magazine and asked them to describe as many things as they could while focusing on the use of adjectives. It is going to be a challenge for me to plan lessons, but I enjoyed being able to teach again. When we concluded our first session, several of the women gave me hugs when they left and assured me they would be back next week. One of the men wanted me to meet his daughter, who was in the beginner's class, to practice her English. I started to speak in Spanish and he stopped me and said, "No. No, in English." I complied, but I was hoping to practice my Spanish on her.
Jon and I both have gotten tutors to give us extra speaking time. This has been a good time for us to work on those things that are giving us some trouble. We always have to keep in mind that we are not doing this not just so we can speak Spanish, but that we might be able to proclaim the gospel to those who have never heard...in Spanish. Language is also a means by which we can really start to understand the culture of the people who God has called us to. We are thankful for all you who have prayed and given to financially...God has used you to be a tremendous blessing in our lives.
On a personal note: God has again reminded me of His provision in our lives. All that we have is from Him. As we were shopping for food yesterday at Hipermas ("Wal-mart"), I realized that many people had mainly rice and beans in their carts. Don't get me wrong, I like rice and beans, but eating it every day does get a little old. I was convicted by my own selfish heart as I saw families with little in their carts but that. We are so blessed to be provided for in all that we have--especially being able to eat a variety of foods. This small realization may be a simple thing, but it was one more way that God prodded my heart and reminded me that life's not about me.
Prayer Requests:
1. May our eyes be open to what the Lord would teach us here.
2. Prayer that we would not be prideful of our abilities, but rather trust in Him to accomplish in us what He wants.
3. Pray for continued safety and good health. It is hard to miss classes.
4. Pray for clear minds to concentrate on school and retain information. We have new information coming at us each day.
Praise:
1. This week is "Spiritual Emphasis Week" at school. This gives us the opportunity to take a little break from homework and listen to the Word of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment