Monday, September 1, 2008

First in Flight

We took some time out from our training here at JAARS and we took Kendall on her first ever plane ride on one of the planes here at JAARS. JAARS stands for Jungle Aviation and Road Service. They essentially exist to provide support for Bible Translation work that is going on all over the world. So they offer these tours on their little planes and we thought it might be fun. I was hoping that they might have one of the those planes that you have to hand crank to get started, but alas, it was one of these new-fangled planes. I was also hoping for a head-set that would make me look like I knew what I was doing. But no. We were riding with a fellow that had been a pilot in Papa New Guinea. He kinda reminded me a little of Tom Cruise in Top Gun...well, not really. But he was a really nice fellow.

We were a tad uncertain as to how Kendall would respond once she got into the plane, but she did great. She had a huge grin plastered on her face from start to finish. We think she might have done so well because she couldn't see a thing. I'm not even sure she knows that we actually went in the air..haha. She sat next to one of the fellows that has been taking the intercultural class with us. Here are some pictures documenting the day. It was neat to think that we were sitting in a plane that was being used to train pilots to take Bible Translators to people who don't yet have God's word.

Friday is our last day here and we are very thankful for what God has taught us during our time here. In some ways we will be sad to leave here. It has been a really enriching and stretching experience in which we were able to learn next to people that are all passionate about God and moving toward a life of faith in missions. But this was only for a time. We are headed to Fayetteville where we be living with Jon's parents and look forward to reconnecting to the city that I (Jon) grew up in. We are really praying that not only will we be able to finish our support raising by Dec., but we also are praying for ways in which we can minister in the church while we are here. I will be looking for a job next week, so if you remember, please pray that God directs me to place where I can be most effective and is flexible enough that it will enable us to continue raising support.




5 comments:

Daniel and Sarah Barrett said...

Great pictures!
The smile tells it all.

Daniel

Janice Thompson said...

Kendall is getting prettier and prettier! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us while up at Waxhaw. Praying God's blessings upon you as you finish up training this week and move to Fayetteville to continue support raising.

Alison Gray said...

WOW...she def. looks like she had a fabulous time!! haha, i love that child. praying for you all!!


-alison

[ps] love the blog...this was a good idea!

markandjesss said...

sounds like a great time! :) tee hee
Jess

Leanne said...

Hey!
What's happenin?
Glad y'all's training was good. We miss you here.
I'll be praying about a job. Has anything come up yet?
Love the pics of Kendall. Did Parker go on the plane?
Put some pics of him up! I bet he's getting big. sniff sniff.
Leanne